Monday, 15 June 2009

6/16 London Olympics 2012 News

Please add updates@feedmyinbox.com to your address book to make sure you receive these messages in the future.
London Olympics 2012 News - News from London Olympics 2012 Feed My Inbox

U.K. Crisis Leaves Olympians at a Loss
June 16, 2009 at 12:00 am

Georgina Geikie, one of the U.K.'s most promising sharpshooters, is learning the hard way what the long-term cost of the financial crisis can be. Over the past seven years, Ms. Geikie, 24 years old, has put much of her life on hold and made sacrifices to pursue her dream of winning a medal for Britain in the 2012 Olympics, which London will host. Now, though, the U.K. government has taken away the money she had been counting on to pay for her training, citing the need to cut back as it spends billions to bail out its troubled banks and economy. "It feels like the rug has been taken out from under my feet," she says. "This is my one goal, my dream, my ambition, everything." Her disillusionment reflects an unfortunate reality: Having fought for years to host its first Olympics in more than six decades, the U.K. is facing the daunting prospect of preparing for the Games amid the deepest economic downturn since the Great Depression. - online.wsj.com

Blatter backs British compromise
June 15, 2009 at 12:00 am

Sepp Blatter has approved the deal for English football teams to represent Great Britain at the London 2012 Olympics. The four home nations had written to FIFA detailing their agreement for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to take no part in the Olympics but allowing England to represent Team GB. The deal was presented to FIFA's executive committee meeting in Nassau on Sunday and afterwards Blatter said all parties were happy. It means the way is now completely clear for the British Olympic Association to announce that England will represent Team GB in the men's and women's tournaments. - www.espnstar.com

IOC to consider 33 changes to sports before LO 2012
June 15, 2009 at 12:00 am

The International Olympic Committee will consider the introduction of women's boxing and an overhaul of the modern pentathlon among possible changes to events in time for London 2012. The IOC sports director, Christophe Dubi, said today that the executive board would consider 33 changes to the 26 existing Olympic sports before the London Games. The changes put forward by the relevant sporting bodies include a proposal from the International Boxing Association to allow women to compete for the first time. Under the plans teams would comprise 10 men and three women. "They have provided documents concerning the medical elements of the women's discipline," said Dubi. "These documents have been supplied to the Commission, which is preparing a report." - www.guardian.co.uk
 

This email was sent to brettpayne.londonolympics@blogger.comManage Your Account
Don't want to receive this feed any longer? Unsubscribe here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home